During the REBOOT…What’s My Workout Plan?
On your Keto Reboot…you might be wondering if you need a different workout plan than usual.
Good question, and the answer is YES!
Resetting your metabolism, and letting fasting work its magic, is so fantastic on its own. But what about your workouts?
When fasting, the key thing to remember about working out, if you want to maximize the effects of your fast … you want to get into the zone that’s called glycogen depletion. Get rid of all the stored sugar and fat!
As you’re fasting you already have less glycogen in your liver. So how do you get rid of the rest of it? Do some light workouts that exercise all your major muscle groups, because glycogen gets stored in your muscles too!
You want to break it out of there and burn it all up, so you can start burning fat instead! If you’ve worked with me before, you probably remember my “fridge” analogy:
Glycogen in your body, is like having food in the fridge, easy quick source of fuel to grab. But fasting allows us to “empty out the fridge” so we have to tap into the “reserves” in the “freezer” — the fat stores.
We fast for health reasons and also use fat as fuel… and burn it! And we also work out while fasting, with glycogen depletion being our main goal.
So, what’s the workout plan?
Well, first of all, you don’t need to work out “too hard” while fasted, it’s more about warming up all the muscles, doing higher reps and lighter exercises, to really get the glycogen out of our liver and muscles.
In the fasted workout video I linked to above, I have some awesome reboot-modified cardio/strength/flexibility workout suggestions too!
So here’s the PLAN:
Work each major muscle group, about 3 – 4 rounds of 20 reps. See if you can complete a set in 30 seconds, then rest 30 seconds, rinse and repeat! Here’s a few TIPS to help you through:
- Squats – make sure you’re pulling your knees outwards and that when you’re coming back up, you’re putting your weight on your heels. Also, be sure that your knees and your toes are parallel.
Let’s say you have bad knees and continuous squats aren’t something you can do, modify them by sitting on a chair, and as you stand up, squeeze your thighs and glutes. Just do as many of these as you can!
Okay, now that’s quads and hamstrings done, and plus squats speed up the muscle-building anabolic process.
That means you’re actually targeting your whole body when you do squats. Woo hoo!
- Resistance bands – now we’re targeting your shoulders. Stand on the band with your feet together, and lift the band until your arms are straight out. Again, this is all about speed, and try to do as many of them as you can in 30 seconds! For your back, bands are one of the best way to really hone in on those lats and traps! Try some bent-over rows, where you bend at the waist, keeping back straight and hips back, and then pull the band up to your hips.
You can also do rows by wrapping your band around something. Or, lay on the ground on your back, with your head closest to the object you wrapped your band around. Now, put your arms up, grab those handles, and pull down!
Way to work your lats, shoulders, and arms!
- Pushups – I know, I know! But, pushups are one of the simplest, most effective ways to build your chest. If you aren’t a fan, just think of how rewarding it will be to start off only being able to do modified pushups:
- (How to do modified pushups: against a wall with your feet a few feet away from the wall, against a table or other incline with your elbows tucked in close)
- (Or, the classic “knee” pushups!)
…to being able to modify your pushups to make them harder…
- (Keep your hands together on the ground and making a triangle symbol, instead of keeping them shoulder-width apart.)
- (Or, explosive pushups, where you use your momentum to briefly lift your hands off the ground!!)
So now that you’ve got your back, chest, shoulders, hamstrings, quads, and glutes ALL covered, and especially because you’ll be in an anabolic state promoting muscle growth, glycogen should be quickly moving out of your muscles and forcing your body to burn fat for fuel!
Want more info on getting your body into the fat-burning state? CLICK HERE!
I wish you the best of luck warming up all your major muscle groups.
That type of workout plan is the absolute best way to maximize the effects of the Reboot!